Admission requirements will vary, depending on whether you intend to undertake honours in the Faculty of Science, or in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
To qualify for admission to the Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science (Honours), you must:
- Have qualified for or be a graduate with a Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science from the University of Sydney or equivalent qualification from another tertiary institution;
- Have completed a relevant major relating to the intended Honours discipline;
For Science Honours:
- Have achieved a Science Weighted Average Mark (SCIWAM*) of at least 65.00 or have a credit average (65.00) in 48 credit points of relevant** 2000-level and 3000-level units of study; or (for Honours in the Arts Area) Have achieved an average of 70 or higher across the major; and
- Satisfy any additional criteria set by the relevant Head of School or Discipline or Department.
For Arts and Social Sciences Honours:
- Have achieved an average of 70 or higher across the major; and
- completed the prerequisites, including advanced senior units of study, as outlined in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate Handbook.
The University's Coursework Rule requires Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science (Honours) students to complete their Honours program within 10 years of the commencement of their original qualifying Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science degree (or equivalent). As such, if your original Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science degree (or equivalent) was commenced more than 10 years ago or close to 10 years ago, you may be ineligible for admission.
Applicants whose original Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science degree (or equivalent) was commenced more than 10 years ago or close to 10 years ago are strongly recommended to seek advice from the Admissions Office prior to submitting an application for Bachelor of Science (Honours). The Admissions Office will consult and confer with the relevant contacts in the Faculty of Science and the relevant School as appropriate.
For Science Honours:
Please note that, in some Schools and Disciplines, the minimum SCIWAM requirement is higher than 65.00, particularly where entry is very competitive. For example, a minimum SCIWAM of 75.00 is generally required for entry into Honours in Psychology.
* SCIWAM is the average over all second and third year units attempted. For more information please consult the current Faculty of Science Handbook and visit the SCIWAM Calculator.
** Relevant units of study must be nominated by the School or Discipline and must be accompanied by strong written support from the School or Discipline.
Willingness of a member of academic staff to act as your supervisor does not guarantee entry into Honours. However, admission into Honours is subject to an appropriate supervisor and project being available.
Students who are not admitted to the Science Honours program may alternatively consider the Graduate Diploma in Science. The Graduate Diploma in Science is offered as either a one-year full-time or a two-year part-time course with similar content, structure and assessment as the Science Honours year. The Graduate Diploma in Science is a full fee-paying postgraduate coursework program.